Saturday 7 July 2012

In the navy...

The printed trouser that resembles pyjamas is a controversial trend - some parties say 'yay', while many decry it with a 'nay'. Like so many things, I believe that there cannot be an outright 'yes' or 'no' to the question of whether they are faux pas or not bad. Jessica Alba recently wore a Dolce & Gabbana pyjama influenced look right off the catwalk and here's where the trouble is; you can't style a whole outfit as pyjamas because...well, then they'd just look like pyjamas. And pyjamas outside your front door are never okay...unless you've been forced out by a fire alarm on campus in the wee hours. It's ALL about the print and styling with this one. And, as I always say, any trend is about influence rather than immersion, in order to avoid costumey situations. 

Here are a few good examples of the trend:



It was a look similar to this, but in black, that Alba wore.

I personally have no issue with this look and quite like it. It seems like an alternative to the tracksuit bottoms I never wear that has the potential to be both comfortable and cute. I bought my pair of pyjama-inspired pants in Penney's so there isn't gonna be much financial regret if I change my mind but I doubt I will. I went for an entirely navy look and that and the styling is kind of a nod to Stella McCartney's love of the colour and easy glamour. The Urban Outfitters tank and Marine Outfitters blazer are both similarly slouchy to the pants but follow a slender line that is flattering and stops the nightwear look from taking over. The shoes, River Island espadrille peep-toes with striped bow, are another nod to Stella (I worship her) and add a bit more length and leanness to the look. Pops of colour and the only break from navy in my outfit were from my nail polish - a green and orange shade I'm crazy about!


















No comments:

Post a Comment