Friday 12 September 2014

Cos AW14 Menswear Collection

Today I'm talking menswear once more...although I ended up buying a piece from the collection for myself! But such is Cos. Infinitely wearable, hard to (impossible?) to get wrong and wonderfully androgynous.

Scandinavian and Irish design actually have ties going back to the sixties and, I think, that's why it's so popular here. Both are somewhat simple, restrained though prehaps imbued with a little more of a sense of humour in an Irish context because we're so good at laughing at ourselves and not taking life too seriously. But, I digress. My point is that Cos suits a modern Irish palate. It's metropolitan, durable, not overly caught up in trends and unfussy.

So, Irish men, if you're feeling a tad lost style-wise, I reckon you should hit up their AW14 collection. It's got some great investment pieces in the form of blazers and coats and some slightly more on-trend pieces with sixties inspired prints, cuts and footwear. The palette is largely in neutral tones with the pops of colour here and there that they do so well - one of my favourite sections in the store was the schlubby grey area. I may not be a 50 Shades fan but there's probably that many in my wardrobe. And the silhouettes are largely traditional and recognisable with less innovating in this area than the women's clothes tend to see. However, to update these pieces, give them a modern twist, the details are key; a leather panel here, interesting use of zips there.

My essentials have to be the simple black bomber, the navy suit (looks good on EVERYONE - all genders should feature one of these bad boys in their wardrobe), Chelsea boots, canvas backpack, navy peacoat, classic Breton striped tee, tweedy canvas slip-ons and a sturdy duffle coat. It's what boy-me would wear/live in!

Use of materials - classic bomber in scuba fabric.









Use of zips.

Leather details.



So, what do you all think of the collection? Should I cover menswear more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment