Thursday 7 August 2014

New Favourite Human: Kitty Moss

I've been a major fan of Irish illustrator, artist, designer and all-around rad person Kitty Moss' work since I first set my eyes on her Maude and Minet series in Brown Thomas for their Art and Style display way back when. When we finally got a chance to meet up yesterday, Kitty was kind enough to welcome me into her home where she now does the majority of her work. I've never been given a warmer welcome by an interviewee (and I've been lucky enough to be granted time by some awesome/sweet/kind peeps) - I could really get used to it! Not only did she rescue me from my confusion on another not-well-numbered Dublin street but there was an offer of tea, homemade (delicious) cake, chocolate and prosecco upon arrival. I took Kitty up on the first three and got introduced to her uber-famous pooch, Digby (he's the star of Kodaline videos) who is one of the most beautiful dogs I've ever seen (Sorry, Digby, can't privilege your lovely face over my own puppy's).

Mostly we just chatted and got along so well that I then felt weird about officially interviewing her! It was kind of like talking to a super-talented version of myself a few years from now. We were very much on the same page about art, fashion and the moon and trees (they rock) and how "Desert Island" style questions are impossible to answer. 

As she has a fashion and art background, went to NCAD, worked with John Rocha and now combines those two interests in her work, I wanted to know what inspired Kitty most in both fields. Her favourite artists and works include Hughie O'Donoghue - especially his bog images -Van Gogh, Bacon and Harry Clarke. The exhibition of Munch's prints which took place in the NGI in 2009 is also a major favourite of Kitty's - which we both agreed was one of the best shows we'd ever been to. When it comes to designers Kitty is, of course, partial to Rocha, particularly his accessories and hats, show pieces, the styling of the shows and his textiles which she says, "send me swooning". Sharon Wauchob, Dries Van Noten and Ann Demeulemeester and McQueen's shows are also favourites . 

But what about fashion in action every day? What does Kitty reckon are wardrobe staples? For her is has to be black skinny jeans as she "live[s] in them". Red lipstick is her trick for appearing glamourous and put-together when feeling the opposite and sunglasses, cat-ears and brogues are her go-to accessories. Aesthetic-wise, despite being drawn to bows and ribbons and colour, she goes for layers of black, sequins and see-through pieces. Kitty's style icons include Oscar Wilde (who she agrees had mad swagger), Jesse James, Nick Cave, all Asian girls and Daphne Guinness for her "out thereness" though it can sometimes perhaps be "too forced". But, like me, Kitty likes when people commit to a look and go there and is similarly fond of anything witchy or with a pilgrim vibe that's "polished but a bit grotty" (potential name for my autobiography?).

As to what inspires Kitty most, it's got to be nature and the brief of a work which helps "lead it, in a way". She professes that, for her, there's a "draw" to trees and the moon which she finds over-powering." This love of nature is seen manifest in the passion for colour in Kitty's ouevre despite her love for black and the spooky undertones that prevail. She also loves textures and tries to bring something sweet to her work along with her love of "ghosts and ghoulies", harvest colours and hallowe'en.

When I note her good-natured wit in her work, Kitty tells me I'm the first to note her humour which shocks me. To me, her personality is immediately obvious from a glance at anything she puts her hand to. I ask where this tongue-in-cheek humour wit comes from and she attributes it to the fact that she's one to "laugh a lot" especially as too often "people take fashion too seriously". From her experiences behind the scenes in a fashion house, Kitty is all-too aware of the surface of air-kisses and models making insane amounts of money while other people who make the shows possible struggle. She finds herself disappointed when, despite this knowledge, she is "sucked into it." So, to keep her head straight she keeps that sense of humour as an earth. She describes what she aims for with her work as "spookily sweet", nice and girly. And I would have to agree!

So, I'm gonna go fangirl in a corner. Please go ahead and check out my shots, Digby, Kitty's illustrations and clothing below. 

Be never back, I'm off to live in a converted Gothic Revival church draped solely in Maude and Minet from now on.














Look. At. That. Face.




Lady Moon

Lady Moon

Lady Moon

Lady Moon

Bloshums

Maud and Minet

Maud and Minet

Maud and Minet

New family motto? If I've got anything to say about it!

Anyhoo, I've bombarded y'all with excitement - bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment