Wednesday, 11 November 2015

AW15 Skincare Routine

Skincare is one of my great passions. I have no problem saying that skincare excites me more than make-up and I'm willing to part with a lot more money for it - sometimes a stupid amount of money. But what better thing to invest in? It is your biggest organ.

My skincare routine changes constantly; as I review new products or a new concern becomes apparent or I learn more. However, I do try and maintain a certain amount of consistency which means that reviewing a new product entails giving it at least two months to try and see if there is any real results. I'm sure this might frustrate some of the companies that I work with but I feel I'm doing my best by them and you when I really put something to the test. Skincare isn't instantaneous results, though when a product does offer them I'm all about it, it's an intrinsic part of my daily life - like exercise (ha), brushing my teeth, bathing.

Coming into AW, my routine has changed somewhat to account for those bitter winds and central heating and the havoc they wreak on the epidermis. Much remains the same, however. For example, SPF is still something that I slap on each day and I'm still going with factor 50. UV rays are not a phenomenon unique to summer and sun damage is scary.

In the morning, I cleanse only with water because I've cleansed so thoroughly the night before. I then pop on my Artistry Hydra-V Nourishing Gel Cream, mixing it with the Eucerin Mattifying Sun Cream in factor 50 and applying it in gentle upwards circular motions. I also pop on some lip balm, my current favourite being Elizabeth Arden's 8 Hour Lip Balm. And that's all I do for the morning. Partially due to laziness and partially a calculated move to give my skin time to breathe. I also forego make-up almost every day.

In the evening, it's a whole other kettle of fish.

1. I often go in for a double-cleanse and use my Clarisonic Smart Profile to do so. I have to say, after nearly three months of use of the Clarisonic, my skin looks tighter and clearer and more refined. Admittedly, I'm still suffering from a particularly bad hormonal breakout but everywhere else, my skin is exceptionally clear. The cleansers that I use most and pair with this are the Quinoderm Antibacterial Facewash, a rather unsexy product that merely targets acne, and I use the Neostrata Exfoliating Wash, a chemical exfoliator which is much more gentle than a physical exfoliator, three to four times a week to slough off those dead cells. Super-sexy so far, right? That's grooming for you, not necessarily glamorous but intensely satisfying.

2. My all-time favourite toner, from which I've yet to be swayed, comes next. This is Lush's Tea Tree Water which is also lovely as a refreshing spritz during the day, especially when kept in the fridge as mine is.

3. Moisturiser is next, I've been loving Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream which has been tested in Arctic conditions. The fact that this is a charity collab with MTV's Staying Alive Foundation and Tinie Tempah, as I've mentioned before, is an added bonus. Plus, it's such a big tub with so much in it, that I can really pack it on for the night.

4. I go in with a serum next. My current go-to is the Omega 3 Optimum Skin Oil by my beloved Ren.

5. Now I'll add my lip balm, again the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Lip Balm. Once or twice a week, I'll use Lush's The Kiss (A limited edition Valentine's scrub) Lip Scrub to, again, get sloughing some dead skin first.

6. Then I'll pop some of Anne Semonin's Hand Cream in Verveine Exotique on my hands and let it absorb.

7. I'm still trying to find the perfect eye cream so I'm aware it's missing from here. I do use a whole host of different one that I've gotten or bought over the years but I didn't want to recommend a specific one that I couldn't really stand behind. I'll report back once this changes.

8. Finally, I'll use Sunday Riley's Luna Sleeping Night Oil treatment every second night. I'll do a full review on this much-hyped (and expensive) product soon. I'm still giving it time and consideration but I'm pretty much sold.

9. A few times a week, or if blemishes strike, I'll also do treatments. I like to use Lush's Catastrophe Cosmetic once or twice a week regardless of whether I've got breakouts or not but I'll only crack out the pure Tea Tree Oil if there's a monster erupting. Ren's Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial is also nice for brightening up the skin a couple times a week.

Not quite the Korean 11-step skincare routine but elaborate nonetheless! I'm aware! Still, I think it's worth the time and effort - or we'll see in a few years at least. It's also all become intrinsic to my nightly wind-down routine now and helps me relax so I couldn't abandon ship even if I wanted to.

Anyone else as mad for skincare?

...or is it just me?

IMG_2164a

IMG_2176a

IMG_2175a

IMG_2181a

IMG_2197a

IMG_2179a

IMG_2188a

IMG_2201a

IMG_2195a

IMG_2193a

IMG_2190a

IMG_2186a

IMG_2187a

IMG_2200a

*

Liked this post? Want more?

Follow me here using google friend connect or bloglovin.

Or follow me on tumblr - twitter - facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment